Our initial thoughts on what to show on the map include:
- A map of Detroit showing the bike lanes, shared marked routes, and trails. This will include some of the immediate suburbs surrounding Detroit in order to show connections across the city boundaries.
- Major trail information, including length and completion status
- Bike repair station locations (Yes, we’ll have some this year!)
- Bike-related and run-related businesses
- Non-motorized boat launch sites & similar water trail features
It’ll also include general information about the Coalition, Complete Streets, safety information, bicycle locking information, and more.
This effort will build upon some earlier work done by the Challenge Detroit Fellows and Mode Shift. We expect to take the best elements of other city’s maps.
One feature that we probably won’t include is bike rack locations. There are too many within the Greater Downtown. Instead, we’ll be sure to update our existing Detroit bike parking map.
We expect to have these new printed maps available by the North American Bicycle Week at the end of March.
What are your thoughts on what else should be on the either map that would make them more useful?